The Classic 8 award is designed to promote proficiency in the 3-knot climbing system.
Descending and ascending 8 Alabama pit-caves on a 3-knot climbing system:
- All of which were more than 100 feet, single pitch
- Two of which were more than 200 feet, single pitch
- One of which was more than 400 feet (on rope) in depth
- Your climbing system must have three points of attachment and not include any mechanical device. Prusik or helical knots are acceptable. A quick attachment safety doesn’t count as a point of attachment - we encourage you to have a quick-attachment safety as part of your climbing system!
- Personally rigging at least one of these pit-caves
- Obeying reasonable safety and conservation practices
- Membership in the National Speleological Society
Classic 8 Award Application